Cooking cucumbers was a revelation. I’ve always been a fan of the vegetable raw, it’s even on my list of most refreshing and virtuous foods (this list includes lemon, yoghurt, watermelon and mint). It retains its happy lightness even cooked and as the weather gets colder, being able to add heat to it will allow me to continue eating cucumbers through what is going to be an unforgivingly cold Delhi winter.
1 cup peas (frozen)
4 tbsp yoghurt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp brown mustard seeds
½ tsp turmeric (ground)
¼ tsp red chilli powder
2 tsp ground coriander
Shredded mint leaves for garnishHow to:
1. Core the cucumbers to get out the seeds and slice so you have little half moons.
2. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan. Once hot add cumin and mustard seeds.
3. Once the seeds start to pop, add remaining spices. Then dunk in the cucumber. Stir well to spread the spices evenly and cook till the cucumber becomes soft and translucent (about 5 mins).
4. Add peas and cook for another 3 minutes or so, just to heat the peas through.
5. Stir in the yoghurt and mint, cook for another couple of minutes. Serve.