|Photo Credits: Priyanka Sardana|
Recipe adapted from Sweet Paul MagazineWhat you’ll need:
1 cup flour
1 cup water
6 eggs (separated)
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup olive oil (use your best, it’s going to make a huge difference)
½ lemon’s juice
Zest of lemon
1. Preheat oven to 175°C and grease up a baking tin. I have a huge fondness for my bundt pan so I’ decided to whip it out again.
2. Beat the egg yolks and ½ cup of sugar till you have a thick pale mixture. This might take some time and I think would be best done with an electric whisk. Stir in the lemon juice and olive oil. Then carefully fold in the flour being careful not to overmix.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk 4 egg whites till foamy. Add some sugar and keep whisking till your mix is holding up soft peaks. Be patient this can take some time.
4. Fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture 1/3 at a time. Not whisking aggressively! Just stir the eggs whites in gently.
5. Bake about 45 minutes and try the toothpick test. Once your toothpick is coming out clean, take the cake out of the oven and let it cool completely.