“When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,” said Piglet at last, “what’s the first thing you say to yourself?”
“What’s for breakfast?” said Pooh. “What do you say, Piglet?”
“I say, I wonder what’s going to happen exciting today?” said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully. “It’s the same thing,” he said.” – A.A. Milne
Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day and I often eat breakfast for lunch, dinner or a snack. These are surprisingly easy to make, adorable and need just a glass of orange juice on the side to be the perfect start to a day.
Makes 6 cups
Recipe and photo adapted from Martha Stewart
What you’ll need:
8 slices bread (white or brown as your conscience permits)
6 bacon slices (or more if your conscience permits)
1. Preheat your oven to 185 Celsius.
2. Cut the corners of the slices of the bread so you have an almost circle. This doesn’t need to be perfect so don’t stress! Cut in half and flatten the semi-circles of bread with a rolling pin.
3. Pull out your grease paint brush and grease the sides of a cupcake muffin with some melted unsalted butter.
4. Line each muffin cup with the flattened slices of bread to form a cup. Make sure the bread sticks out above the level of the muffin cups. Use extra bread to patch up any holes in your bread cup. Brush down the whole cup with some butter.
5. Fry up your bacon for about 4 minutes, flipping once. Don’t cook the bacon all the way through because it’s going to cook some more when you put it in the oven.
6. Place a strip of bacon at the base of each bread cup and crack an egg into each cup.
7. Sprinkle salt and pepper on to each cup and place in oven for 20 – 25 minutes till eggs are firm. To un-mould your bread cup, slide a knife around the edge and scoop out.
Bacon fan? I know I am! Go ahead and put in more than one slice, the cup will hold together.